In class 12 physics, Indian students must study theory and practical knowledge of topics outlined by the Central Board of Secondary Education. One of the books that can adequately provide such knowledge to the students is New Simplified Physics by S.L. Arora. Topics covered in the book consist of waves, optics, magnetism, current electricity and so on. Today, I’m going to review the content of SL Arora Physics class 12 so continue reading if you want to know whether it’s a good book.
Table of Contents
Attributes Of The Book: Breakdown
- Attention: As you study physics, every area is essential but some require more attention than the rest. The book highlights such areas in the “For your knowledge” sections and they usually include basic principles.
- Formulas: For your information, formulas play a key role in physics and if you do not grasp them, solving questions will be next to impossible. New Simplified Physics lists all relevant formulas, how they come to be and examples of their applications.
- Practice exercises: At the end of every topic, the book places practice exercises that let you apply what you have learned. These exercises will help you strengthen your knowledge, evaluate your progress and prepare you for the exams.
- Solutions: New Simplified Physics also includes solutions for the exercises which you can use to correct your answers. Noteworthily, since each answer is accompanied by associated calculations, it’s easy to deduce where you might have gone wrong.
SL Arora Physics Class 12: Volumes
Electric Charges And Fields
The first topic in volume 1 teaches students fundamental concepts of electric charges, electric fields and their properties. At the end of the topic, you should be able to master core areas such as Coulomb’s law, Gauss’s law, electric field lines, electric flux, etc.
Electrostatic Potential And Capacitance
The second topic mainly concentrates on concepts related to electric potential and capacitance. After you finish the topic, you will understand how capacitors work and solve problems involving the combination of capacitors in circuits
In the lower classes, it’s highly like that you have discussed electricity but never went deep into it. The third topic covers the flow of current in conductors and how you can apply Ohm’s law to analyze current-voltage relationships. It also gives you a chance to learn other advanced rules like Kirchhoff’s laws and complex circuits like the Wheatstone bridge.
Magnetic Effect Of Current
Now that you have learned about currents and conductors, the book merges the two and dissects the magnetic field in a current-carrying conductor. The fourth topic features other rules about magnetism like Biot-Savart’s law and Ampere’s law in addition to their applications too.
Magnetism And Matter
The fifth topic is in essence a continuation of the previous topic as it illustrates the behavior of magnetic materials and their interactions with external fields. Subtopics of the topic consist of magnetic dipole moment, magnetic field lines as well as concepts of diamagnetism, paramagnetism and ferromagnetism.
The purpose of the sixth topic is to inspect electromagnetic induction which is the process of creating electric current by moving a conductor around a magnetic field. Via the topic, you will get to know the principles of magnetic induction: self-induction, mutual induction, Faraday’s law, Lenz’s law, and their real-life applications (For instance, electric generators.
Earlier topics deal with direct current but in the seventh topic, the focus shifts to properties of an alternating current. The topic comprises a number of sub-topics: RMS value, phase angle, power in AC circuits, LC oscillations among others.
The last topic of Volume 1 of New Simplified Physics discusses the properties and characteristics of electromagnetic waves. If you master the topic, you can achieve a complete understanding of electromagnetic spectrum, Maxwell’s equations and propagation of electromagnetic waves.
In layman’s terms, optics is a branch of physics that tackles the production, propagation and nature of light. The topic explains in detail the reflection of light, refraction and lenses plus optical instruments (examples: telescopes and microscopes).
Issues covered in the topic contain Huygens’ Principle, interference phenomena and Young’s double-slit experiment. Also, the topic addresses the principles of diffraction, single-slit as well as multiple-slit diffraction, polarization of light and its applications
Down below is the content of of the remaining chapters:
- Dual Nature Of Radiation: Characteristics of the photoelectric effect and how it supports the idea of light behaving as particles i.e. photons
- Atoms: Analyze the structure and properties of atoms in classical Rutherford and Bohr’s atomic models
- Nuclei: A deep dive into the structure of atomic nuclei, including protons and neutrons.
- Semiconductor Electronics: The behavior of semiconductors and how they can be doped to create p-n junctions.
- Communication System: Essential elements of a communication system, amplitude modulation (AM) as well as frequency modulation (FM).
Mahargha Mohanta, the driving force behind Govt Job Center, is a highly esteemed job consultant in India, renowned for their extensive experience and expertise in government job recruitment and education within the Indian landscape. With an illustrious career, Mahargha has collaborated closely with renowned educators and experts in the field to ensure the utmost accuracy and relevance of the information presented on our platform.