As one of the core subjects taught in the tenth class in India, Physics consists of many of the key science topics. S Chand Physics Class 10, published by S Chand & Company highlights all the topics outlined by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). Its contents include sources of energy, electricity, reflection and refraction of light and the human eye and colorful world, etc. My article takes a deep dive into the book so read to the end if you want to grasp its content.
About The Author
Lakhmir Singh, the author of S Chand Physics Class 10, is one of the best science teachers India has ever had. In 1969, he completed his Master of Science and in 1980, Lakhmir started writing science books i.e. physics, chemistry, and biology. In collaboration with his wife, Manjit Kaur, Lakhmir has authored more than 15 reputable books.
- Versatility: S Chand Physics is well-known for its versatility as it is available in physical form as well as portable document format (PDF) form. If you hate dragging around cumbersome books, you can opt for PDF and study at your convenience.
- Solutions: The book comes alongside solved solutions that you can use to compare the author’s answers with your own. Of course, for optimal results, you should solve the questions before proceeding to confirm the answer.
- Exam questions: Noteworthily, the book also contains all types of questions you may come across in an examination room. By making use of the book, students will have hands-on skills on how to tackle questions of any structure. Examples of the questions comprise very short, short, long and multiple choice.
- Organization: In case you don’t know, the book organizes questions according to their topics which eases revisions. If you prefer to work on questions topically, you should find the book useful.
- Diagrams: In physics, it’s sometimes necessary to use diagrams to explain activities, phenomenons, … (for instance, the flow of current in a circuit). S Chand Physics Class 10 features quite a few diagrams to help students effectively and efficiently absorb knowledge.
For the sake of convenience, the book splits chapters in terms: first term with the first three topics and second term with the last three.
The topic covers basics of electricity and you will be able to solve various circuit problems by applying the knowledge you learn here. At the end of the topic, you should be able to grasp principles of electricity and their applications. Examples include understanding of electric charges, the ability to distinguish between conductors and insulators, how to exploit Ohm’s law, and the way of calculating the cost of electrical energy consumed.
Magnetic Effect On Electric Current
For your information, the topic focuses on electromagnets, the creation of a magnet by passing current through wires wound up in a metal. It aims to give students insights into electromagnetism and its practical applications.
Sources Of Energy
To put it plainly, the topic explores various energy sources by discussing their production, advantages and disadvantages as well as environmental consequences. Some of the sub-topics include renewable and non-renewable sources of energy, fossil formation, nuclear fusion, etc.
Reflection Of Light
The topic is designed to help students understand how images are formed in mirrors and their real-world applications. Core ideas in the topic consist of laws of reflection, real versus virtual images and reflection of light from curved surfaces.
Refraction Of Light
Essentially, the topic analyzes light by taking a look at refraction like the bending of light when it goes through one medium to another. After the students finish the topic, they should have a good grasp of the behavior of types of lenses and the ability to calculate image positions/magnification.
The Human Eye And Colorful World
In layman’s terms, science is not complete without dissecting naturally occurring matters like human eye, rainbow and so on. The last topic in the book talks about vision in addition to various optical phenomena related to refraction, dispersion and scattering of light. Once you have mastered the topic, you can understand natural phenomena like why the sky is blue, sunrise and sunset colors, etc.
Using S Chand Physics Class 10: Tips And Tricks
- Objectives: Before working on a topic, note down the objectives of the topic you are about to start. By doing so, you will be able to grasp the basics in sections commonly used in tests.
- Active learning: When you have access to questions and answers, you will be tempted to passively read through them but that is not the best way to study. Instead, practice active learning by working on the questions on your own before confirming the answers.
- Simulation: Most individuals have issues managing time in the examination room but by simulating exam-like conditions, you can address them. Grab your book, set a timer and start working on the questions as if you are doing an examination. At the end, assess your speed and adjust it to suit examination standards. The process also lets you build confidence, reduce examination anxiety and identify areas you might be weak.
Mahargha Mohanta, the driving force behind Govt Job Center, is a highly esteemed job consultant in India, renowned for their extensive experience and expertise in government job recruitment and education within the Indian landscape. With an illustrious career, Mahargha has collaborated closely with renowned educators and experts in the field to ensure the utmost accuracy and relevance of the information presented on our platform.